You will know when it is time to call in a tennis court resurfacing expert when the tennis court displays faded areas, cracks or birdbaths. Here is a simple guide to how Dragon Courts resurfaces tennis courts:
- More often than not, there will be dirt, algae, moss and grime on the tennis court. Firstly, to eliminate these things, we will perform tennis court cleaning. A high pressure power washer is needed to effectively clean the tennis court. We avoid getting too aggressive as the old tennis court surface may be removed. After cleaning the tennis court, Dragon Courts allows it to dry over a couple of days.
- After the cleaning process, the next step is to fill the cracks. A modified concrete may be used to fill the cracks. If the modified concrete is not available, an acrylic patch may serve as an alternative. In some cases, cracks may reappear even after they are filled. If this happens, there is a possibility that weeds are growing and they should be removed. You may scrape the weeds with a knife or anything with a sharp end. When the cracks are free of weeds, you may now fill the crack with cement. Use a trowel to flatten the cement. When it is dry, look for any bulges and remove using a rub brick.
- Aside from the cracks, the birdbaths or low spots should be fixed as well. You may use an acrylic patch or a tennis court resurfacer to fill these areas. For areas with deeper layers, a polymer modified cement is needed. The number of coats will be based on the depth of the area. To fix the low spots, the old court material should be removed using a grinder. Pour the cement on the low spot, then use a trowel to spread out the cement. Let it dry before applying the resurfacer. Apply more if necessary.
- After filling all the cracks and low spots, you may now apply the base coat acrylic resurfacer. A squeegee should be used to apply the base coat. Although a base coat is not required, it offers better coverage.
- Now, apply two coats of acrylic colour. If you are coating an old tennis court surface (without base coat), make sure that it is power-washed. This will increase the bond and the consistency of the colour.
- The marking and painting of tennis court lines should be according to its required size. You may use masking tape to outline the tennis court. This will help you to achieve more accurate lines.
After doing all these things, proper tennis court maintenance should be carried out in order for your court to maintain its playability.